The increasing plurality of linguistic repertoires, determined by the growing mobility of both individuals’ and groups, has led to the coexistence of old and new varieties and has brought about new needs for integration, on the linguistic level as well.
The theme proposed for the 19th Conference (Minority languages between localism and globalization) raises issues about safeguard and promotion of minority languages in the new Italian context and worldwide, where localisms and old and new nationalisms have to face a reality of increasing internationalization.
Specific topic and panels:
Language policy and planning (norms, theory, actions)
• Language rights
• Status planning
• Corpus planning
• Minority languages and language transmission
• Minority languages and education
• Multilingualism (and multiculturalism) management
Linguistic spaces, repertoires, attitudes, identities
• Ecology of languages
• Linguistic landscapes
• Linguistic repertoires
• Linguistic attitudes, perceptions and identities (in pluri/multi-lingual context)
Minority languages and language contact: systems and discourse
• Acquisition process and acquisition varieties
• Obsolescence and attrition processes
• Conservative and innovative phenomena in languages in contact
• Minority languages in daily communication
The conference will host a number of invited keynote speakers, and welcomes proposals for papers, which will undergo a selection process by the Scientific Committee. Three types of proposals are accepted:
1. oral presentation of completed research (20-minute presentation followed by a 10-minute open discussion);
2. poster presentation of completed or ongoing research (5-minute plenary session followed by a more detailed discussion to be held in a designated poster area);
3. oral presentation of work in progress (20-minute presentation followed by a 10-minute open discussion).
To submit a proposal, please send an abstract of 600-1000 words (including reference to cited works) to: email@example.com by 30 July 2018. Please specify the chosen presentation format (one of the three illustrated above) and the name and affiliation of presenter(s). The proposals will be sent to the Scientific Committee for a blind review selection process based on the following criteria: (1) adequacy to the chosen format, (2) relevance to the conference theme, (3) clear grounding in existing literature, (4) methodological adequacy, and (5) originality of actual or expected results.
If two or more proposals have the same score, priority might be given to proposals for poster presentations for organisational reasons.
Notification of acceptance will be provided by 30 September 2018.
The conference languages are Italian, English and French.